Catch up on our kitchen renovation:
- Part 1 - Getting started
- Part 2 - Ikea to the rescue!
- Part 3 - All in the details
- Part 4 - The longest night
You would think that after the marathon weekend of demo and installation we'd just been through, we'd be due for a nice, quiet weekend. You'd be wrong. Projects of this scale seem to never end, with every waking hour taken up with an endless to-do list that only ever seems to grow.
One week after the epic weekend that was, we were at it again. As a reminder, here's where we left off, exhausted and beaten at the final hurdle by plumbing.
The next day, we went to Lowe's and picked up the correct plumbing accessories and got everything hooked up. Running water at last! It's almost embarrassing to tell you how excited we were to run our first dish washing cycle in our whisper-quiet new dishwasher. Or our glee in throwing all of the grapefruit peels down the sink and watching the Waste King eat 'em up. (Side note, please give yourself a good laugh by reading this guy's review of the Waste King on Amazon. I seriously bought this disposal based mainly on his review, and we have not been disappointed) We are serious newbies to the joy of kitchen convenience that modern appliances can bring.
Completing the cabinets meant that we needed to install the handles. Unfortunately, in a rare user-friendliness fail on Ikea's part, this process was much more laborious than it needed to be, and I spent the better part of a evening attaching all nine handles. Meanwhile, Denny worked on patching the drywall.
We also got the window trim sanded and installed. We built out the window with new trim so that it would match the windows in the rest of the house.
Then, Denny began work on texturing the walls to hide the drywall seams and blend the wall with the rest of the textured walls in the kitchen.
The wall texture ended up being a bigger job (and mess) than we ever thought possible thanks to our inexperience. But eventually, Denny got a good coat on the wall. I was proud of his willingness to stick to it and make it work.
Then it was time to paint!
And look who's back to help: Dennis to the rescue once again! Even after all of the work we had put him through during the longest night he still returned the next weekend to help us install tile and finish up a few more details.
One of those details was the window sill. Because we had expanded the window trim, the sill suddenly became inadequately small. You can see it in the above photo. I really wanted something wide enough to place objects on, but the work involved in removing the sill and creating a new one was too much at this point in the project. Instead, Dennis devised a way to marry a new board onto the existing sill to extend it.
A few pegs, some wood glue, and a million clamps later, we were in business. The new sill fits seamlessly over the old, and once painted, you would never know it wasn't the original.
The rest of the trim in the room was also underway. I worked on sanding and preparing the pieces that we removed from the door. We had the brilliant idea to remove the old trim which had been painted white and turn the pieces around to the unpainted side so that we could stain them and make them blend with the rest of the door frame that goes into the living room which is also stained.
Meanwhile, Dennis and Denny cut and hung the remainder of the ceiling trim.
As the sun began to set, we finally got around to the main task of the day, the tile. I was worried that we were in for another long night. A justified fear when we ran out of tile halfway through which required an emergency trip out to Lowe's (and a pizza run).
Luckily, the process went smoothly after that. Dennis ran the wet saw in the backyard while Denny measured and ran tile back and forth for all of the tricky corners and curves. We used 12 x 12" sheets of tile that knitted together smaller 2 x 4" subway tile. This made it more simple to keep everything straight although we did use a lot of spacers to hold everything in place while the tile was setting.
I know that subway tile can be viewed as a bit trendy, but after looking at several other options, we kept coming back to it for its simplicity and price. It has a clean, classic look that will hopefully stand the test of time. We chose a light grey grout so that it would be visible, but not overwhelming next to the bright white tile. Who knew there were so many shades of tile grout!
With the tile work finished, we were really getting down to the final few details. The trim on the door needed to be installed and stained, and we needed to paint the window and do several touch ups to the paint on the rest of the wall. Denny and I worked on this together the next night, and had it all cleaned up before the work week began.
And then... it looked like a finished kitchen.
It was quite emotional to see the whole thing reach this stage, and to know that we had only to install the light and the shelves before we were completely finished.
This is where we left off, a week before Thanksgiving, with our goal in sight. The next post will have the installation of the shelves and the final reveal! I can't wait for you all to see it.