No excuses for our lengthy absence. Instead, how about some more photos of the kitchen?
So, as the title says, a year ago, I bought a door. I bought two doors, actually, intending to use them in the kitchen renovation. They were both old, both from the ReStore, and together were supposed to replace the ugly back door and screen door leading out of the kitchen. After thoroughly exhausting ourselves on the kitchen overhaul, we decided to wait on the door project and do it later. So for almost a year, the door has sat in our shed collecting dirt.
A few weeks ago, we embarked on a whole-house refresh (more on this later) so naturally, one of the first projects we decided to tackle was to install the door. Now, this is not the first door we've replaced in this house. Oh no, no, no. You haven't been told the saga of the front door yet. Needless to say, we learned our lesson on that one, and on this install, we went for the simplest approach.
First, the door had to be prepared. When we bought it, one side was covered in sheet metal. Why? Because, oldness. People do weird things to their old stuff. Don't ask. So step one was to remove the sheet metal and pray for an intact door underneath. Lo and behold, it was in one piece, albeit brown and ugly. Nothing a little wood filler and paint couldn't take care of!
We also removed the original glass and custom ordered a new piece of tempered glass.
Hanging the door went remarkably smoothly. The same cannot be said for the strike side of the trim. This area was so badly damaged that we had to rebuild the whole thing using a product called Bondo. Bondo is a strange product that uses a chemical reaction to repair "metal, masonry, concrete, painted wood, plastic, drywall and more." I'm convinced you could build a house entirely of Bondo if you could deal with the smell.
The application of it was, how can I say, not pretty. Even my makeshift wooden mold couldn't contain the mess.
Luckily, Denny stepped in with a chisel and some wood filler and we were off in a better direction. Once it was painted, you would never know what a mess it used to be.
The threshold also needed some major work. We had to re-grout the tile, install a new wooden threshold to bridge the gap between wood and tile, and give the old sill a new coat of paint.
After several coats of paint, it was finished. There's so much more light in the kitchen now, it's incredible! I love the view to the backyard too. Everything is so green and lush right now. It makes it a lot easier to wake up over my morning cup of coffee with the east sun streaming in.
Here is a fun little progression showing the back wall of the kitchen before renovation (top photo), after renovation (middle photo), and now with the new door (bottom).